A

A

Wednesday 3 February 2016

Tyntesfield

 
It has been many years since I have posted a blog entry like this. Pure indulgence having visited somewhere. Although this set of images is as a result of a purposeful visit. The location in question is the National Trust property Tyntesfield, located a few miles outside Bristol. Home to four generations of the Gibbs family it was saved for the nation by the National Trust in 2002 and after many years of conservation, not least to make the roof watertight (over £4 million was spent there), this property is a jewel in the Somerset portfolio. And I have begun to volunteer there.
 

 
Having looked for an outlet for my energy and having long loved the work of the National Trust, in November 2015 I applied for and was accepted by the Trust as a "visitor services" volunteer. Still early days but my Sunday mornings are a treat as I meet and greet the public before sending them on their way to purchase a ticket and visit the house. Although I'd visited Tyntesfield for work, I'd never done so for pleasure and so it was recently that I pootled over there as a 'paying guest' to learn for myself what made this estate so important, what makes it tick now and what I could learn myself of the house history to aid my meet and greet persona. I learnt a lot today from the lovely house stewards, especially some of the not in the guide book facts that make a visit extra special. All stored away now for my next volunteer day but for now some photos taken on a glorious early spring day when the estate was almost empty. 

 
Robin on the steps

 
South View - formerly a Renaissance/Georgian mansion massively extended in neo-gothic Victorian splendour. And as used in the BBC drama, Sherlock

 
Walking towards the ha-ha and garden

 
Walled garden

 
Not a weed in sight

 
Does what it says on the blackboard... so I did go for a walk..

 
....... into the newly planted orchard and pregnant sheep.

 
The way to look after tools

 
Rhododendron in flower in February !!!!

 
Back to Home Farm where I work/volunteer

 
Newly sawn planks

 
Loved the timber, tree, solar panel combination view

 
After all that time for some apple crumble and lashings of custard.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh Tyntesfield - have wanted to visit ever since the NT took it over. A wonderful place to volunteer Andrew and hope to see more posts and photos!

    Apple crumble and custard looks scrumptious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There will be more postings I'm sure Caroline....lovely place indeed.

    ReplyDelete