A

A

Friday 10 December 2010

Mystery solved....

In my last posting on Wednesday (here) I posted a mystery photograph, something I found in Savernake Forest in Wiltshire on Monday.

Some good suggestions from other bloggers, but this morning I had confirmation from Professor Lynne Boddy at Cardiff University that it is a slime mould. Slime moulds were once thought to be thought fungi, but are now known to be not even closely related. Professor Boddy suggested I contact a colleague of hers for positive identification, but I'll leave it with just the general identification. Mystery solved.

And the thaw has set in in Somerset. Noticable how many birds were singing today, makes me realise that when the temperature is below freezing continuously, birds are just concentrating on feeding.

3 comments:

  1. Glad the problem is solved, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew, I read your previous post late last night and came back to comment but find I am too late to comment there so will do it here.

    I too was very intrigued by your mystery and was going to ask Greenie to take a look at it as he is very knowledgeable on the subject of fungi etc. but happily I see the mystery is solved, it certainly was strange looking!

    The little book you found looks delightful, I think it was 'waiting' for you!

    Welney looked like a great place, so nice to see the Whoopers with their cygnets.

    What a lovely frosty walk you and Julie had, the photos are beautiful, a real Winter wonderland :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emma, thanks for your involvement in the mystery too, muchly appreciated

    Thanks too Shysongbird, you could always leave a comment on older posts, I check the last 2 or 3 for a while.

    ReplyDelete