A

A

Sunday 30 November 2008

I'll stick to management....

Well yet again the weather forecasters have got it wrong. Today, in the South West at least we were meant to be having rain, wind and well maybe a pestilent frog thrown in. It may be cold today, but it's actually very nice.



So a day in the garden. The above chairs, were "donated" to me as being past their best. This was back in June, and Border Reiver had planned to restore them for the garden. It's now the last day in November. So out with the sander, and on with a bit of mahogany slap. At this rate they'll look like Robert Kilroy Silk. They need a second coat before I show you the finished product, my DIY skills are legendary.... legendary bad that is. Which is why I'll stick to management, and my Fathers thoughts, DIY is for Don't Involve Yourself and get someone in.



But I do like gardening, so planted up a couple of Cyclamen / Heather pots. My neighbour popped round as well and I potted up a hanging basket for her. I used to be hopeless at hanging baskets, until I realised pack in the plants, leave no soil uncovered. (unlike that bare patch in the above photo.... dear oh dear, oh dear!!)



Hopefully these will bring in a bit of cheer for the winter. As did these little chaps, who seem to be becoming resident in my garden, always full of fun and activity. Photo is a bit rubbish, as they never stopped moving and caught me on the hop.



The other bit of wildlife from the garden was a Buzzard being mobbed by 3 Carrion crows overhead. I get a lot of Buzzards over the house in the summer, mewing and soaring, less so in the winter. So this was a nice diversion for 5 minutes from the freezing fingers.


Well first day of Advent tomorrow, I have my candle ready, and now if I can get motivated, heading off to Wells Cathedral for an Advent Service. I love Christmas, and think I'm becoming religious in my old age as have just bought this book to read.

~~~

Postscript : 7.45pm; Well I'm now back from Wells Cathedral, and I have to say thoroughly set for Christmas, if a little frozen. The Cathedral was put into total darkness, we all had candles, which were then lit from the Advent candle and then from one to another. I like the dark, but it's interesting what a few candles can do to lift the mood on a Sunday evening..... unlike my tone deaf singing.

6 comments:

  1. Funny you should mention advent Andrew, I have just been sent to dig out the advent calendar so it can be in pride of place tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. presumably not digging it out of the snow in your id picture Stewart?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your chairs will end up as works of art Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm Andrew, Stewart is Boulmer Birder..... I think it's too much of the sherry trifle for you Tricia, hee hee !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew - I'm soooo sorry - Ooops

    (Actually I think it was the Merlot rather than sherry trifle)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The candle lighting must have been marvelous. I can't believe that you've potted up plants this time of year. I'm jealous, lol. Those chairs are going to look terrific when finished.

    ReplyDelete