A

A

Wednesday 19 November 2008

Being a blue sky thinker clouds my thoughts

Apologies for the lack of postings recently, I'm recovering from man-flu. I have been bed ridden for days and near to my maker for weeks.......actually what I have is a blooming awful throat infection, cough, cough, cough. All day and all night, it's driving both myself and my work colleagues to despair. Which is why they sent me packing this afternoon with a "just go home we don't want your germs"

As I drove home I thought maybe a bit of sea air down at Sand Bay would help. It did and it didn't, as I just felt worn out when walking along the beach, presumably as I'm not sleeping, so just sat there, looking at the clouds. And pretty spectacular they were too. The Bristol Channel provides an aerial backdrop for some stunning sunsets. I was once told this is because of the muddy sea, the Channel being an estuary, it provides more red in the sky, so an enhanced sunset. That may or may not be true, but I just like looking at the end result.






In terms of birdlife out there this afternoon, nothing spectacular to report, though good numbers of Redwing and Fieldfare about at the moment. I love those winter Thrush's, how they all fly off at once from a hedgerow, wheeling and flying over fields, landing again in another spot. I could watch them for hours.

But being at home this afternoon, allowed me to do something I've been putting off for weeks. Much like watching the sky and the shape clouds make, my dominant personality is to be a blue sky thinker. I am absolutely hopeless at detail. People at work are surprised at this as a lot of my work involves detail. Believe me I can do it, but I find it hard graft and it bores me rigid. Give me a massive problem to resolve quickly and I'm your man, just don't expect me to follow my answers through with actual action, I'll have moved on and become distracted by something else just as interesting before then.

So unlike many birdwatchers (or men generally apparently) I never keep accurate records of what I've seen. It's all in my head, but never organised (the lists, not my head before you comment). I did though say to myself in January, Andrew, for once in your life, record how many birds you've seen in the UK in 2008. It was the reason for the blog. Keep a record on-line. I never write anything down on paper, but find writing on the pooter very fluid and easy. Other birders say to me "what is your life list". I have absolutely no idea and nor do I want to know. Shocking eh?

And I was doing okay until June, which is good going for me. Then it all went a bit haywire. So tonight I've re-read my blog postings and can without a doubt confirm the number of birds species seen in the UK this year is 157, or 158 if one includes the Eagle Owl in Bristol (which we had a robust discussion about at lunch yesterday, with opposing views, escapee or second generation wild bird) I'll leave it there as more blood will be spilt no doubt over that one. I'll stick to 157.

It could be 158 of course if I could be bothered to drive the 30 miles or so to East Cocker to see the Dark-Eyed Junco, which is entertaining a plethora of twitchers at the moment. But do you know what, I think I'll leave that one for the real birders.

And finally I have a stalker, well a new follower of my Blog.... Birdguides Blog .... which is very nice, mind you now they've read I'm not hoofing it down to East Cocker, I'll be ex-communicated.

7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your "man flu" - I know how near to death that can bring you! Anyway, you still managed to take some stunning photos before you "nearly" kicked the proverbial bucket... I love birds but I must admit I've never kept a list. I'm now wondering if I should... Perhaps I'll have a look at your stalker blog and consider if I want to become a "member" of the list gathering fraternity...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'll make the grade over at the birdguide blog... so I'm sticking to my blog for now and forgoing the lists. Too many birds I'd never heard of, let alone seen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Andrew - hope you feel better soon - but at least you got to see a great sky - amazing pics too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spectacular pictures. Can't blame you for being a sky thinker, that sky would make me one too. Sorry to hear that you have the flu, hope you get better fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you'll be feeling better soon - love the photos you've taken here - the clouds are amazing! Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jane, Tricia, Oldcrow and Miranda (and Miranda for the funny e-mail). I'm sure 2 years of R&R and no work and I'll be fine. Actually I am 95% fine it's just this cough, it just will not go, no matter how much whisky I take onboard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Call yourself a Northumbrian, your becoming a southern softie.
    P.s.- I have bubonic plague( still to be confirmed, can't go to docs as it's contagious allegedly) where it say's ill on my blog.

    ReplyDelete