A

A

Thursday 20 March 2008

Messing about with the digi-scope

Not too bad a day off yesterday, weather was glorious. Sand Bay at 7am kicked up 123 shelduck and 50 curlew plus a sparrowhawk and 3 singing chiffchaffs, plus loads of magpie and woodpigeon.

With the wind storm force 1 gusting severe gale 2, digi-scoping was difficult. I'm new to digi-scoping so learning that even the slightest breeze makes it tough to get a sharp image as the telescope wobbles in the breeze. So this was the best from the morning, Flat Holme, about 6 miles out to sea from Sand Bay.


Later in the afternoon whilst having a cup of tea, I could see many birds on the garden feeders. So set the scope up in the conservatory and waited. By now the birds had flown, which is typical, so I amused myself with getting to grips with what the digiscope kit could do on my garden flowers. Okay I agree, I could have gone into the garden and taken a photo, but this Celendine, photographed from about 30 feet away on a x60 eyepiece and x 14 camera setting appeals to me. I know what you're thinking..... !!


Then finally, the Goldfinches came back so took about 50 shots of these glorious birds. Because they move about quite a bit many were a bit blurred, but this one captures the little fella.

Original photo uncropped (above) and cropped and re-sized below. Lovely.

Have a good Easter, and for those of you in Northumberland, hope the Crane stays at QE2 park. Amazing birds.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew.
    It's Hayley.
    You have seen loads of Goldfinch's, and you gave me that feeder and i havent seen any yet.
    Hayz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Oldcrow.

    Hayley-May - they'll come eventually as they are all around you. I'll maybe drop off some fat balls for you and this may encourage other birds into the garden, bringing Goldfinches too

    ReplyDelete