A

A

Tuesday 1 January 2008

New Years Day - end of the NHU Bird Cup

Well as New Years Day ended, I found myself in Lyme Regis in Dorset. Since posting the blog on the 21st December, I've driven 1200 miles (I know not very environmentally friendly), but that did include a week at my parents, vising friends, plus birding. I'm still verifying my final score but I think it's 93 species. Less than I'd hoped for but I had forgotten how tough it is birding up't north.

Down in Somerset/Dorset, we have large National Nature Reserves and they're chock full of goodies. Up in Northumberland and Durham, there is teaming bird life, but it takes a bit of finding. Most of my time was spent in open countryside, wild and unspoilt coastal areas or Local Nature Reserves managed by councils with little information to work from. One day I did go to Washington WWT and had a fabulous view of 20-30 bullfinches their feeding station. Something I'll not forget. I've attached a video of this. Not the best quality, but a reminder of an unexpected pleasure.

I'll post a resume of the highlights and species seen, when and where in my next blog. Before then, happy birding in 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment